"To educate and enlist humanity to protect and restore the quality of the natural and human environment."
Comment on Internal Combustion test stands before June 24At our May general meeting, Jeremy Ayars urged us to comment on an EPA rule change and he believes would reduce emissions standards for all types of internal combustion engines. You can comment at https://www.regulations.gov/document?D=EPA-HQ-OAR-2018-0753-0001
Conservation Issues Continue
- Ask the EPA to keep efficiency standards for light bulbs: https://addup.sierraclub.org/campaigns/dont-let-the-trump-administration-roll-back-green-light-bulb-standard
- May 24, 7 pm, see videos and discuss ocean dead zones, at First UU Church, 4015 Normandy, in Hallman Edu Bldg room 303.
- May 29, 8:15-10 am, 350.0rg will lead its annual protest outside
the Exxon shareholders meeting: https://actionnetwork.org/events/rally-at-exxon-annual-shareholder-meeting
- Latest border wall status near the National Butterfly Center, Bentson State Park, Lower Rio Grande Valley National Wildlife Refuge and others: https://www.cnet.com/news/border-wall-now-under-construction-could-kill-off-birds-ocelots-and-a-church/ and
- I have heard young people express variations of "We're all gonna die soon because of climate change." Read https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/19/science/climate-change-doom.html and assure doomsayers that we ARE turning this big ship around.
A Climate Change Walk Through Downtown Dallas
Take a narrated tour of downtown Dallas to hear about changes that have already happened, changes we expect, and changes we can make. Reserve a spot on an upcoming Climate Change Walk.
Walks are also listed on our calendar.
Are North Texas’ Recycling Programs Facing Peril?
By Victoria Howard, Dallas Sierra Club Recycling Coordinator
The recent headlines in papers like The New York Times both shock and alarm the recycling supporters reading them. Opening sentences declare: “Philadelphia is now burning about half of its 1.5 million residents’ recycling material” and
Keeping Up with Texas Legislation
The Lege is in session. You can get your info directly from the Lone Star Sierra Club staff in Austin by signing up for their email alerts: https://www.sierraclub.org/texas/lobby-team-resources . If you, like Dick and I, were unable to go to their legislative training in November you can study up on what to expect here: https://www.sierraclub.org/texas/lobby-team-resources . If that level of involvement floats your boat, please tell me. We might arrange to visit some of our state legislators.
Saving Mother Earth: Lt. Gen. Russell Honore
Conservation News Email List
Sign up to get Dallas Sierra Club Conservation News Stay up-to-date on conservation issues affecting the Dallas area with this (usually) twice-per-month email.
Conservation starts at home! Think globally, act locally comes down to your own garbage can. The majority of Americans recycle, so join us. Click here for information about recycling in Dallas, Fort Worth, and surrounding cities. If you have questions about recycling or recycling campaigns, contact Victoria Howard at 972-768-6067.
Share Your Ride
We are making car pooling and using public transportation a little easier for our regular events. See our new Share Your Ride page.
You can get FREE mulch delivered to your house from tree service companies, and-or you can pick up FREE mulch by yourself at various companies and city recycling centers. Click here for information about free mulch. If you have questions, contact Kirk or Coralie Miller at 972 699 1687.